Heart Disease & EECP in Europe
Friday, February 29, 2008
  February 2008 Update - Effects of Decaffeinated Drinks


I should note (see previous post)that I have not drunk any significant amount of caffeinated drinks in the last couple of years and stuck to decaffeinated coffee and tea. I began to get a little bit concerned that EECP was producing the results after the course was completed - and so I cut out any decaffeinated drinks as well.

This graphic (up to 25th February) shows what has happened since the end of the EECP course and eliminating any decaffeinated drinks. The course finished on 5th February and the blue line shows that average SBP was still running about 140. A week later I gave up the decaffeinated drinks - and the blue line marched from 140 to near 120 in a week. This effect has persisted right up to date - long may it continue! At the same time I have been able to increase the amount I can walk each day - so hopefully improving the overall level of fitness.

The ship's doctor's strictures about eating and drinking too much have also worked out well - I came back to the UK a couple of weeks ago 300 grammes lighter than when we departed in December. I still drink only a couple of glasses of wine a day and, if anything, I drank less on the ship.

There is a definite relationship between the amount of exercise - too much probably causes some aggravation of inflammatory patches - and blood pressure in my case. I would dearly like some better insight into how these relationships work. Excessive salt and decaffeinated drinks may also play some part but I am sure that other factors have effects that, at present, I do not understand.
 




<< Home
For patients and professionals with an interest in coronary artery disease (CAD)and heart failure (CHF). External counterpulsation (EECP) has been a great help to many patients by reducing angina and other debilitating symptoms. Being comparatively inexpensive its use in Europe should be expanded to improve quality of life and reduce healthcare bills. Start from the bottom (oldest post) and work towards the top. Comments are welcome - Click on the 'Comments' tab at the end of each post

ARCHIVES
July 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / June 2007 / September 2007 / February 2008 / April 2008 / June 2008 / December 2008 / July 2009 / February 2010 / August 2010 / April 2015 /


Powered by Blogger